The common misconception that fly control can be accomplished as easily as installing an Insect Light Trap (ILT) has created a tendency to overlook the importance of a comprehensive program. Effective long-term fly control requires an integrated approach. We offer the following seven steps to implement a holistic fly-control program:
Step 1: Identify the species of flies infesting/threatening the facility.
Step 2: Locate all likely breeding sites indoors and outdoors, as well as likely access points.
Step 3: Determine the distribution of the flies within the facility.
Step 4: List all environmental, procedural and mechanical improvements needed to reduce or eliminate the susceptibility of the building to fly infestation.
Step 5: Select the chemical (contact and residual insecticides) and non-chemical (insect light traps and exclusion materials) best suited for the particular facility.
Step 6: Explain the appropriate control strategies to the customer and identify those elements of the process that the customer is responsible for, such as clean-up, operational practices and repair.
Step 7: To the extent possible, simultaneously deploy multiple control tactics, including:
- Install insect light traps such as Vector® brand Insect Light Traps
- Knock down adult flies with contact insecticide like Prescription Treatment® brand
- I.® Contact Insecticide Formula 1
- Apply residual insecticides including Prescription Treatment® brand Cy-Kick® CS Controlled Release Cyfluthrin to outdoor fly resting sites
- Clean indoor and outdoor sanitation deficiencies
- Clean floor and sink drains
- Perform necessary building maintenance
BASF Pest Talk is designed to create an interactive community of pest management professionals to exchange information and resources in the areas of pest management and control. We want to enhance pest management professional, researcher, media and industry expert relationships by providing an online forum with relevant, timely and discussion-generating content about issues, trends, and news and information in pest management, and tools designed to help pest management professionals do business better.