When fleas are a problem, all pest management professionals (PMPs) should be prepared. BASF provides an integrated plan that helps PMPs reliably control fleas, decrease time and labor, and minimize homeowner inconvenience.
When dealing with a flea infestation, it is important to first determine the host or the source of the infestation. This could include:
- A family pet that gets infested outdoors and brings fleas into the home
- Outdoor pest animals living near the home
- Feral cats or dogs in the area
- Flea infestations from a former occupant
After pinpointing the source of the infestation, assess sensitive situations with the homeowner, such as precautions the homeowner should take regarding floors, furniture, and pets.
A simple, but important, non-chemical method all homeowners should do in preparation for a treatment is vacuum all floor surfaces, resting areas and associated articles. This not only removes most of the eggs, larvae and adults, but also helps trigger adult emergence from cocoons, removes flea feces and raises carpeting for deeper insecticide penetration.
Factors to consider when choosing the right combination of flea control products include the need for quick knockdown, residual control, homeowner convenience, and application time and labor.
For a quick knockdown, longer-lasting control and better affordability, use Prescription Treatment® brand Alpine® Flea Insecticide with IGR. Alpine® Flea Insecticide with IGR is an advanced pressurized formulation that won’t soak carpets, and only takes about 15 minutes to apply .
Prescription Treatment® brand Cy-Kick® CS Controlled Release Cyfluthrin is ideal for killing adult fleas outdoors.
If additional direct contact and space treatment is needed, use Prescription Treatment® brand 565 Plus XLO® Contact Insecticide .
Pest Talk Code of Ethics
- We will tell the truth, writing deliberately and with accuracy.
- We will acknowledge and correct mistakes promptly.
- We will never delete comments unless they are spam, off-topic or use coarse and defamatory language.
- We will stay on topic and disagree with other opinions respectfully.
- We will link to online references and original source materials directly.
- We will disclose conflicts of interest.